The coalition of Somali human rights defenders CSHRDs www.cshrds.org (Human Rights CSO that represents the interests of WHRDs/HRDs)
CSHRDS has undertaken different activities since July 2020 and that includes:
- Held the largest HRD virtual meeting in August 2020 with all relevant stakeholders including civil society, and discussed the latest threats against human rights defenders in Somalia, in order to make context analysis for better decision making and security improvement. We specifically focused on the recent attacks against the staff of the Horn Afrik News Agency for Human Rights HANAHR in Luuq Jeelow nearby Beledweyne on 27th July and 3rd of August 2020, where two of their staff were seriously injured. During the online discussions, we interacted with Hanahr senior administration (Fatima, Muna, and Samia) and its staff (shadiya & ilya) who survived during the attack for better assessment of the situation.
- Helped with the relocation of WHRDs/HRDs at risk in Somalia in August 2020 and in April 2021.
- produced the 2020 anual human rights report of Somalia in December 2020.
- Helped with the aid effectiveness to Somalia
- Helped in easing access to justice and information exchange.
- Engaged with the EU delegation to Somalia, Nairobi office in virtual meeting.
- Engaged with the Swdeish and French embassy to Somalia in virtual meeting and discussed human rights situation in Somalia.
- Had virtual discussions with Somalia Human Rights Working Group, currently led by the US and UK embassies to Somalia and discussed human rights advocacy and the recent Universal Periodic Review UPR recommendations for Somalia.
- Established hotline numbers in July 2021 for all Somalia electoral regions to observe human rights violations during elections.